How to get a passport in the US
Passport renewal in time is as important as how to get a passport. If a passport expires, it is as good as you are treated as a person who does not own one. So it is very important to keep a vigil on it and get it renewed in time with out any delay.
Process to have it done is not all that difficult a task in the US. If your US passport is 15 years old and you were above 16 years when you took the passport and your name was not changed from what was mentioned in your old passport, you are free to renew your passport online. Otherwise, you need to submit your passport renewal form in person. If you wish to renew your passport via internet, you need to fill out passport application form DS-82 and send it along with your expired or about to be expired passport with two latest passport size photos. The renewal fee for the same is $67, which is to be sent along. And if there was any name change taken place in between, you are to submit the proof of the same along with the passport renewal form. For those who are staying abroad can have the renewal done at the respective country’s US embassy or consulate offices. You can renew your passport through some recognized agencies called Passport Expeditors, who are fully into passport services. However, their charges will be almost double than the normal charges. When you are in emergency, it is better to take their service because they can get it done even within 24 hours.
Passport Renewal Formalities in the US
• First, you take a print out of passport renewal form -DS-82. Take due care while filling it up because it is being send to the current address mentioned therein.
• Social security number is to be mentioned mandatorily on passport renewal form.
• You must mention your emergency contact number and other details.
• Take a print out of the form and append your signature on it.
• Make sure that you attach all relevant documents along with the application form. They are;
• Two recent passport size photographs as per the specification given on the application form.
• The old passport.
• If there is significant change in appearance, a photo ID proof has to be attached.
• A marriage certificate has to be attached with the renewal form, if the surname of the applicant has changed after marriage.
It is to be noted that the renewal is not possible in the below mentioned cases;
If the applicant is a minor.
To replace a mutilated or stolen passport.
If the present passport is a five-year passport.
If the passport was expired five years back.
Normally, it takes 3-3 weeks to get one passport renewal in the US. The applicant will be intimated through e-mail one it is ready. The US consulate has arranged a courier service for the delivery of passport to the applicants at their permanent addresses mentioned in the renewal application form.
To put it in short, it is mandatory that everyone has to renew their passport in time in order to avoid any further complications in this regard.